Sunday, May 2, 2010

Day 2

Hey folks,
We had a very active day here as we had a sport camp here on the property and had just fewer than 900 young folks from as far away as La Paz. The expectation was to have 2000 people but there was a blockade from protesters and the police do nothing about them. So not everyone that was coming could make it to the camp do to the blockade(these can go on from 1 hour to 3 days). These are some very athletic and wonderfully kind kids who showed that to everyone. We started the day with a very enlightened devotional from Debra on the first few verses from James and breakfast cooked by our team then we all went to work here. Bruce and I were given our first task of the day. We had to mix cement and help finish a sidewalk on Dr. K's house. This proved to be some very exhausting work as not only was it very filthy and physical (we are way up in altitude, heavy Breathing). Bruce and I did this in great Spirit as all of us did. Most of the rest of the crew has made an incredible lunch of some kind of meat and cut up a lot of tomatoes and potatoes. They swapped off with others that were outside promoting and selling hotdogs and sodas to our visitors for the day. Callie and Marcie played some very nice volley ball and were entered in the finals. The real fun for them was to meet in a casual setting with the Bolivian woman they played with and against. Bruce was given the task of weed eating and I thought I was out of the physical labor. Unknown to me I was going back at it after lunch. Very physical day for Bruce and I. God moves us when we are doing his work and we prepared all day to go to the church in Kara Kara. We gave the entire service in this dirt floored church. This is our second visit to this church and one of many from the Helping Hands organization. Thomas the head of the church has given his life to the people in this area of Bolivia. You adore him the moment you meet him. We started the service with songs and then split into four groups for games and lessons for the kids. My group of 9 teenagers named ourselves "The believers". They are amazing! 35 or 40 teenagers attended on a Saturday night with a festival going on. We had some good humor and I played the blind man and Bruce played Jesus for a skit to go along with the sermon. Jason preached for the first time and did a very nice job even though they had a lot of distractions. Rendee told her story of coming to Christ and one of the teenagers told hers. Both these stories connected with us and teenager. When we finished we all talked and became friends with some of the people at the church. I really connected with a 20 year old named Ramone who went with us door to door yesterday. He is very bright and a really good communicator. We got back to the Lydia House around 10 for stretch and bless. Each member of our team tells of their day. I would tell you but frankly I am so tired I must go to bed. I am blessed by all the people I am here with and the people I have met. All of my sponsors at home have blessed me in ways you cannot know. There that was half of it. Good night, as I have to give the devotional in the morning further on in James 1:16-27.
-Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment